The Wi-Fi Alliance announced that Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 7 – which is based on IEEE 802.11be technology – will be available by March 31, 2024. With the official introduction of Wi-Fi 7 devices, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 7 is now expected to facilitate worldwide interoperability, bringing advanced Wi-Fi performance for the “next era of connected devices.” Enhancing WLAN performance in the 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz bands, Wi-Fi 7 brings cutting-edge capabilities to enable innovations that require high throughput, lower latency and greater reliability across home, enterprise, and industrial environments. This includes key applications such as augmented, virtual and extended reality, immersive 3D training and ultra-high def video streaming.
Wi-Fi 7 networks support advanced Wi-Fi performance for high bandwidth applications to ensure each connected device delivers the dependable experience users expect, even in congested environments like stadiums and large campuses.
Key benefits of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 7 include:
- Higher throughput.
- Improved support for deterministic latency.
- Enhanced efficiency, even in dense networks.
- Increased robustness and reliability.
- Reduced power consumption.
- The advanced features of Wi-Fi 7.
The key features of Wi-Fi 7 work together to deliver higher data throughputs and support deterministic latency for sophisticated use cases that demand first-rate reliability.
The Wi-Fi Alliance also noted that some of the most anticipated features of Wi-Fi 7 include:
- 320MHz superwide channels that are only available in 6GHz provide twice the throughput of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6, enabling multigigabit Wi-Fi device speeds.
- Multi-Link Operation (MLO) supports more efficient load balancing of traffic among links for increased throughput, lower latency and enhanced reliability in AR/VR/XR and cloud computing.
- 4K QAM achieves 20 percent higher transmission rates than Wi-Fi 6’s 1024 QAM for greater efficiency, enabling flawless high-definition video streaming and social cloud-based gaming without lag.
- Wi-Fi 7 supports superior connectivity for emerging use cases with high levels of interactivity and immersion. As user demand for high capacity, low latency technologies such as AR/VR/XR, cloud computing and Industrial IoT grows across market segments, Wi-Fi 7 devices will deliver optimized performance, even in dense environments in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. Countries with access to 6GHz will experience the full scope of Wi-Fi 7’s unparalleled performance.
For more information on the Wi-Fi Alliance and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 7, click here.