Barracuda, a partner and provider of cloud-enabled security solutions, released key findings from a “The State of Office 365 Backup,” industry research it commissioned.
Global IT decision-makers were surveyed to capture their opinions and perspectives about Office 365, data security, backup and recovery, SaaS solutions and a variety of related topics.
To read the full report: https://www.barracuda.com/office365-ccb
Overall, the findings indicate the worldwide shift to remote work during the pandemic has intensified the challenges associated with protecting Office 365 data. Highlights include:
- Protecting data against attack and loss – from outside actors and inside sources – is a key concern.
- 72 percent of respondents are concerned their Office 365 data could be the target of ransomware.
- 52 % say their organization has experienced a ransomware attack.
- Organizations want granular restore and other functionality unavailable in Microsoft’s native capabilities:
- 77 percent of IT decision-makers agree that granular restore of Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive and Teams is important to them.
- 79 percent want to be able to recover mailboxes to another location or user.
- Data protection is a security and a regulatory concern.
- 69 percent of respondents are concerned about data being backed up outside their geography (geo residency).
- More than seven in ten respondents are concerned about compliance with data privacy requirements.
- Organizations prefer a SaaS solution that is fast and easy to get up and running.
- 74 percent of the IT decision-makers surveyed say SaaS backup for Office 365 – i.e., no hardware or software to maintain – is important to them.
- Roughly eight in ten want to start running their first backups immediately upon signing up for a new data protection solution.
“With the rapid shift to remote work dramatically increasing reliance on SharePoint, OneDrive and Teams over the past year, protecting Office 365 data is a more crucial requirement than ever before – and more challenging,” said Tim Jefferson, SVP, Engineering for Data, Networks and Application Security, Barracuda. “That’s why organizations are looking for comprehensive, easy-to-use backup solutions that are fast to get up and running and include capabilities like granular retention that aren’t included in Microsoft’s native functionality.”
Independent market researcher Censuswide conducted the survey that includes responses from 1,828 executives, individual contributors and team managers with responsibility for their organization’s cloud infrastructure. They came from organizations in companies with 50 or more employees in the United States, EMEA and APAC.